More Daily Show humor
Shannon Jacobs
2006-04-28 22:29:03 UTC
A couple of good ones from this week, but it's still a remarkably lousy
website--and I think the webmaster's primary concern is keeping it that way.
I can't tell if the webmaster is just incompetent, or is actually working
for Dubya. Still, there are some good bits there:

http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=63001

This woman is part of the editorial staff of the MSM Wall Street Journal.
She is also a total Bushevik idiot in the best tradition of Soviet-era
Pravda.

http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=63086

Rove going into court--one more time and he gets to bang the gavel,
according to Jon Stewart.

http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=63153

Pretty good interview with Robin Williams, featuring Dubya, Arnold, and
earthquakes.

Back on the meta-topic of the awfulness of the website, does anyone have any
connections within Comedy Central? Somebody really should bypass that
incompetent webmaster. If their goal is to make money from the website, they
are going about it completely wrong. If their goal is to demonstrate
sincerity, they're also screwing that up. That website is so bad that I
often wonder why they even bother to have it.
--
The truth alone will not make you free. However, it is one of the
prerequisites. Unless you know the truths underlying your options, you

Trolls fed to "The vile spewers of mindless blather thread" and/or ploinked.
tenjets
Shannon Jacobs
2006-04-29 13:41:01 UTC
There were a couple of pieces that involved Snow, but I don't remember that
particular joke about "weisses haus". Can you provide a bit more context and
maybe jog my memory?

On the other hand, the website does not include the entire show, and it
isn't available here (AFAIK). They usually have about 4 segments from Daily
Show and 3 or 4 from the Colbert Report each day.

Here are two more excellent pieces from a new British correspondent. One
lampoons the queen, and the other has some very good Dubya jokes.

http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=62238

http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=63120

Still, I think the site is lousy. From a technical perspective, it's really
done in an incompetent way, as though they are trying to waste as much
bandwidth as possible and run up the costs. I don't see the percentage in
that, unless the goal is to make the website unprofitable. From a content
perspective, they have a very suspicious tendency to remove the best videos
very quickly. Since both of these things are harmful from the perspective of
maximizing their impact via the Web, it makes me wonder.
Post by tenjets
Did you catch Stewart calling the white house "weisses haus," as in,
meanwhile, over at the weisseshaus, Tony Snow....."
<older stuff snipped>

ploinked.
tenjets
2006-04-29 16:30:18 UTC
Post by Shannon Jacobs
There were a couple of pieces that involved Snow, but I don't remember
that particular joke about "weisses haus". Can you provide a bit more
context and maybe jog my memory?
Nope, sorry. It was just one of the news lead-ins. Don't remember which
night. German, by god!
Post by Shannon Jacobs
On the other hand, the website does not include the entire show, and it
isn't available here (AFAIK). They usually have about 4 segments from
Daily Show and 3 or 4 from the Colbert Report each day.
Here are two more excellent pieces from a new British correspondent. One
lampoons the queen, and the other has some very good Dubya jokes.
http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=62238
http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=63120
Still, I think the site is lousy. From a technical perspective, it's
really done in an incompetent way, as though they are trying to waste as
much bandwidth as possible and run up the costs. I don't see the
percentage in that, unless the goal is to make the website unprofitable.
From a content perspective, they have a very suspicious tendency to remove
effty
2006-04-30 00:29:51 UTC
Post by Shannon Jacobs
Still, I think the site is lousy. From a technical perspective, it's
really done in an incompetent way, as though they are trying to waste as
much bandwidth as possible and run up the costs. I don't see the
percentage in that, unless the goal is to make the website unprofitable.
From a content perspective, they have a very suspicious tendency to
remove the best videos very quickly. Since both of these things are
harmful from the perspective of maximizing their impact via the Web, it
makes me wonder.
My guess is that they've taken to removing new/good stuff fairly quickly
because they would rather you purchase whole episodes from itunes. $1.99 is
pretty reasonable, but the new episodes are not up right away.

~e.
Shannon Jacobs
2006-04-30 00:50:46 UTC
Post by effty
Post by Shannon Jacobs
Still, I think the site is lousy. From a technical perspective, it's
really done in an incompetent way, as though they are trying to
waste as much bandwidth as possible and run up the costs. I don't
see the percentage in that, unless the goal is to make the website
unprofitable. From a content perspective, they have a very
suspicious tendency to remove the best videos very quickly. Since
both of these things are harmful from the perspective of maximizing
their impact via the Web, it makes me wonder.
My guess is that they've taken to removing new/good stuff fairly
quickly because they would rather you purchase whole episodes from
itunes. $1.99 is pretty reasonable, but the new episodes are not up
right away.
~e.
Uh... That doesn't make any sense. How will you find the best stuff if they
remove it on the website? Are they hoping to find customers who are stupid
enough to buy 20 episodes on speculation? Sorry, those really dumb people
are the Bush voters, and I very much doubt they are big fans of the Daily
Show.

What would make sense to me is to use the website to actively support their
sales. Rather than wasting large amounts of bandwidth on enormous strings of
thumbnail images, they should have the stuff sorted more reasonably in
subdirectories. For the most popular stuff, they should prepare a
deliberately lower quality version--including an ad for the higher quality
version, and use BitTorrent to distribute that version at minimal bandwidth
cost to themselves.

These things seem so obvious that I have to regard their webmaster as a fool
or a Bushevik fifth columnist.